Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Anathem

So, I just finished reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson, author of Cryptonomicon, the Baroque Cycle, and Snow Crash. I enjoyed it on several levels.

First, the literature nerd in me was simply delighted by the etymological play: the "translation" of Orth words into English is achieved by mixing up English words that hint at the original's multiple meanings and development over time. Orth itself is suggestive of both "orthography" and "orthodoxy;" appropriately, since the language has existed as a Latin-esque academic lingua franca for thousands of years. This means that reading closely for clues is extremely rewarding.

Second, the philosophy nerd in me was equally thrilled by locating or deciphering philosophical ideas familiar to me here on Earth: Andrakhones' Theorem states that the square of a right triangle's hypotenuse is equal to the square of the remaining sides, the Sphenics are equivalent to Sophists while Protas is Plato, etc. My ability to find parallels was stretched way beyond its limits, and I'm sure I'm missing many important philosophy jokes (although the ones I did get were amazing.)

Even better, these puzzles took a backseat to the plot itself. I was gripped. I hadn't noticed before, but Stephenson's style seems cramped at times. Even in close to 900 pages he is cramped. This book could be almost twice the length. Apparently his preferred page count is a lot closer to the 2500-ish of the Baroque Cycle. He has written shorter books, but Anathem will probably be remembered as one of his best. Right now I'm having trouble deciding whether or not this is his best book. If it isn't, it's close.

No comments:

Post a Comment